The Big 80’s Party is coming to Victoria in mid-April, and as official providers of event transportation services for the festival, we can’t wait! There is so much to love about the 80’s. The activewear, crazy inventions and dance music are just the beginning. Find out exactly why the 80’s was such a big decade in today’s blog – and discover how you can relive the 80’s using our event transportation services.
#1: The unforgettable movies
Blockbusters, science-fiction and horror were all genres that stood out in the 80’s. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Blade Runner, The Shining, and A Nightmare on Elm Street are just some of the most classic films from that time.
Teen comedies in particular also rose to popularity during the 80’s. Many classic teen comedies and romantic comedies featuring teens – such as Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, The Breakfast Club and Pretty In Pink – were all released in the 80’s. Many believe this decade was the golden age for teen and youth-oriented films.
#2: The iconic music
Much of the popular music from the 80’s is still loved around the world today! Some musical genres that flourished in the USA during the 80’s include:
- Rock, especially the subgenres hard rock and glam rock (including bands like AC/DC, Queen, Mötley Crüe, Bon Jovi, Kiss and Def Leppard, to name a few)
- Pop (including artists like Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna and Whitney Houston)
- R&B, particularly with elements of soul and funk (including artists like Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Lionel Richie and Earth, Wind & Fire)
#3: The bizarre fashion choices
Oversized blazers, fanny packs and colour blocked windbreakers – sound like something you’ve seen lately? All these iconic fashion statements we see nowadays actually originated in the 80’s. Many of the stylish trends from the 80’s – like pastel colours, shoulder pads, neon and denim – are featured just as much in modern fashion as they were back then.
That isn’t to say the 80’s had no shortage of strangeness in fashion. Leg warmers, parachute pants, crazy disco hairstyles and stirrup pants have all been gladly left in the past!
#4: The technology that shaped our lives
The disposable camera, camcorder and CD player were some of the biggest technological inventions of the 80’s that continue to influence our lives today. Today, these inventions look a lot more like the iPhone, Snapchat and Spotify!
The Apple MacIntosh, Microsoft Windows, and the Nintendo Gameboy also made their debuts during the decade. Nowadays, it is almost impossible to imagine living life without this technology.
#5: The strange and interesting inventions
Not everything that was invented in the 80’s survived into the modern age. Some of the weirdest, wackiest inventions we left in the 80’s include:
- Briefcase alarms – This particular invention was created to prevent theft, especially from businessmen with potentially confidential information. If a mugger snatched a briefcase, the victim could just punch a code into a transmitter that would cause the briefcase to emit ear-piercing sounds and red smoke.
- Electric doormats – No more dirty shoes when you enter the house! Stepping on one of these revolutionary mats would cause moving belts with bristles on them to clean the dirt from your shoes (without tripping you, of course).
- Head-mounted displays – Although this invention looks very similar to VR headsets and the proposed Google Glasses of the modern age, it did not take off in the 80’s after users complained of nausea and headaches caused by the device.
Relive the 80’s at The Big 80’s Party
The Big 80’s Party is your chance to relive (or experience for the first time) all the things that made the 80’s the greatest decade. From the groovy music to the colourful fashion, your one-day time machine to the 80’s will be held in a number of locations across Australia. In Victoria, The Big 80’s Party will be hosted by Rochford Wines in the Yarra Valley.
Expect plenty of nostalgia, dancing and ‘massaoke’ (mass karaoke) to 80’s anthems, from when gates open at 2:30pm to when the festival finishes at around 10pm. There will be live music, DJs and even an outdoor cinema with an 80’s throwback montage!
Event transportation services from Melbourne
Melbourne On The Move is the official partner with The Big 80’s Party for event transportation services from Melbourne to Rochford Wines. We can pick you up from Melbourne’s CBD or select surrounding suburbs (including Greensborough, Ringwood, Croydon and Mordialloc). Our number one priority is to get you to and from the venue in a safe, comfortable and timely manner.
To book our event transportation services for The Big 80’s Party, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us on 1300 55 86 86.